How to Increase Good Cholesterol & Lower Bad Cholesterol
Everyone knows having high cholesterol is not good for you. But there are two different types of cholesterols along with one fifth of your triglyceride that make up the body’s total cholesterol. That two cholesterols are namely as HDL (High-density lipoprotein) & LDL (Low-density lipoprotein). Cholesterol can’t dissolve in blood so the lipoproteins in our blood carry them.
The HDL is the good one because it helps in removing LDL from body hence a good level of HDL cholesterol prevent risk for heart attacks & strokes. The LDL is the bad one because it is responsible to make plaque a thick & hard deposit that can clog blood arteries and that risks the stroke or heart attack. Then whenever you think you have to reduce your total body cholesterol think to that you have to increase your HDL & to reduce the LDL. These two lipoproteins acts as a carrier to transport cholesterol thought your bloodstream.
The first thing you can do to increase your HDL is to exercise regularly. Excess body weight can keep cholesterol level up. Exercise can bring down your total cholesterol whilst at the same time increase in proportion of good cholesterol in the blood. A regular walking or workout can reduce bad cholesterol by 10 percent.
Secondly think about saturated fat you are eating in your diet. Saturated fat comes from the food like Butter, coconut oil, whole milk, meat, peanut, butter, margarine, cheese, vegetable oil, fried foods, & frozen dinners & that fat when we eat converts into the body in the bad cholesterol. So you have to avoid saturated fat foods & instead have to use unsaturated fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids) like Avocado, soybean oil, canola oil and olive oil, sunflower oil, fish oils, walnuts, red meats, Omega-3 fatty acids like flax oil, fish, foods rich in fiber like grains etc
You can actually increase in your HDL cholesterol level by improving your diet & adopting a low fat diet with increasing high fiber diet. Soluble fibers such as that found in fruits, vegetables & nuts actually reduce bad cholesterol levels in your body.
So keep in mind to increase in HDL avoid the saturated fats & increase in unsaturated fats & high fiber diet.
Know which oil to use in your diet by this graph.
Looking at the graph above, it is best to use oils that are higher in unsaturated fats (polyunsaturated or monounsaturated) and low in saturated fat means the oils with more blue and green shading and less red are healthy for your heart.
How to increase good cholesterol (HDL) & Lower Bad Cholesterol (LDL)
- Drink green tea regularly. It’s proved that the component of green tea lowers the bad cholesterol even lower blood pressure.
- Use about 2 tablespoons olive oil in your diet as its content heart-healthy antioxidants that lower your bad cholesterols (LDL) without touching the good cholesterol (HDL). As olive oil are high in calories not consume more than recommended.
- Eat leafy green vegetables & nuts in your daily diet as they have soluble fibers which help in reduce bad cholesterol & helps in heart disease. Soluble fibers also found in oatmeal, kidney beans, apples, banana, pears, and barley.
- Eat at least two fish in a week that contains omega 3 fatty acids or take a regular supplements containing fish oil. Omega 3 fatty acid helps in reduce blood pressure and risk of developing blood clot.
- Resolve to make changes in your daily routine & live the healthy lifestyle. It’s your life & only you can make the changes to lower the bad cholesterol.